2 January 2015
Takes some time to get right but pleased with results.
Delivery delays from a was-delivery company, but once the 3 separated(!?)parcel components arrived, happy. I have a small kitchen/diner extension and needed a slimmer alternative to kingspan type thermal board due to space. I had a pretty experienced decorator, but it was hard for him to adapt immediately to this material. I had read many reviews and was confident we could tackle it though. But lots of tricky edges and wobbly walls make life hard. My summary of tips hopefully may be useful, sorry if I have repeated people.
Definitely snap off blades, loads, I had a stanley which was tough going, sharp scissors would be great too, pointy like hairdressing ones.
By the end I realised, if I had space I would have laid out the pieces and 'double buttered the edges and as much as possible first. The instructions on the adhesive are minimal, flaky paint parts are a nightmare with a roller! The glue really draws inn so repositioning like lining is near impossible without bits of glue drying first.
I ended up often going over drying glue with a brush again if i had to peel back, quite fiddly. 'Double buttering' also allows for a little bit more repositioning.
With sharp corners, avoid trying to wrap around at all,super butter the edge piece, make sure glue is absorbed all along. Then when that side is dry, you can use a super sharp knife to trim it flush, then again generously butter the edge, and the liner-rear. I would run a thumb and forefinger down, 'pinching' the corner firmly to get both faced solidly glued. Once this is dry you have a harder 'crispier' edge to cut reasonably. But the fibre blunts blades badly!
I caulked in between 'patches' where liner did not totally meet, which avoided obvious joins later as it is not perfect.
It was really handy to have another person who can cut and help with the stages. I did a tricky cupboard afterwards, if your patient, once you have cut the thermal liner for a tricky part, it could be a template for the fibreliner if you are using one which will save time.
Finding fixings can be a nightmare, if you do not mark them as you go!! Beware. At a push a matchstick in the holes, or peel back use a bradawl or similar, and then re-paste as undoubtedly the glue will have sucked in again!
When doing the fibreliner, which is much more forgiving ( I did this myself) generous amounts can again be pushed into any edges and nooks that may not have stuck.
I got really picky,but you mantra needs to be : ' I AM GOING TO LINE ON TOP OF THIS' or you will go nuts! But once I took care with the FIbreliner( which doesn't absorb the glue so hungrily) and caulked the edges nicely, the job looks superb. I may run over some edges with a scalpel and recaulk, before I paint it, but for now I am happy. I really hope that this can help someone out, as it is a little daunting. But even if you cut a piece short just butt another piece up as good as you can , repeat the mantra, and caulk and smooth it with a flat scraper or similar and move on..
As everyone says , be generous with the glue , but I wish there was a better application method. I still have half a tub of glue left after 2 rolls and two rolls of liner, I am glad I used it generously!
I would use it again,although not magic, the room seems better insulated and walls not cold to the touch. Must help with reducing acoustics too. Perhaps I should have bought the super-duper one as this is my coldest room, but never mind.